Texas Legal Name Change Process

Disclaimer: The information and forms in this guide are not a substitute for legal advice and assistance. This guide will show you how to change your name. Our name change documents (information and products) are intended solely for simple and uncontested name change actions. Attempting to change your name when considering bankruptcy and/or after declaring bankruptcy can be complicated, and our name changes are not applicable in such situations. These situations usually require the assistance of an attorney who is a member of the bar association of the state where you live. No. Changing a child`s name is a different process and requires different forms. If you want to change your child`s name, use the forms in this toolkit: I want to change my child`s name. Complete all fields on the forms unless otherwise specified. The judge and clerks will not fill them out for you. The judge may refuse the name change if the information is inaccurate or incomplete. For minor changes to your first or middle name, you can obtain a request to change your birth certificate from the Texas Bureau of Vital Statistics. 1.

Complete the adult name change application. Filling out the petition is self-explanatory, but make sure you get the adult petition as there are separate petitions to change a child`s name. Also put a check mark at the top of the box before the words “District Court”. Do not sign the petition until you have seen a notary who must testify to your signature. To change your Social Security card, take or send a certified copy of the order that changes your name to your local Social Security office. For more information, see: U.S. Social Security Administration. Our name change products and services cannot be used in connection with an adoption or paternity action, as in such cases, the name change must be made in connection with that case or proceeding. To change your name in Texas, you must meet the following requirements and prove that: Note: If you have been convicted of a crime, you may be able to change your name without waiting two years if you want to change your name to the primary name used in your criminal record information. See Texas Family Code 45.103(b)(2). If so, get proof of how your name appears in your criminal record information.

To change your name on your voter registration card, notify your district voter in writing. For more information, contact the Texas Secretary of State. To apply for a name change, one must meet the residency requirements of the state in which he/she wishes to file. In other words, to apply to a state to change its name, you must have permanent residence in that state. All states require a petitioner/applicant to be a resident of the state – often for at least six months and sometimes up to a year – before applying for a name change there. A person applying for a name change must generally prove that they have lived there for the required length of time. You can also change your name on your birth certificate if you wish, but this is not mandatory. If you want to change your birth certificate, you must obtain a request to change your birth certificate from the Texas Vital Statistics Unit. Notify the relevant authorities of your new name (e.g., Social Security Administration, Texas DPS, etc.). You will not be notified automatically. To change your last name, you need a court order.

You must be at least 18 years old to get one. The reason you change your name must be legal and “in the public interest.” A name change, for example to avoid creditors, is not qualified. Our name change forms apply to changes in first name, middle name, last name and/or any combination. Each state has its own requirements for obtaining a name change. Texas has more requirements than some states, but if you meet them all and follow the procedure correctly, you should soon have a new name. 5. Submit your documents to the court registry. Submit the original documents for your name change to your county district court and bring the copies with you, except for the order, that you must bring to your court hearing.

Ask the clerk to stamp your copies as “classified.” To find out if you can file an e-filing instead, contact your district court clerk to see if they allow e-filing in cases of name changes. Don`t forget to ask the clerk for your hearing date. Most name changes are granted, but the law gives the court the power to deny a person`s name change application. Therefore, the court may dismiss an application for a change of name if there is a reason to reject the application. Minor changes of name (persons under eighteen years of age) are dealt with by the district court where the child lives. A designated parent, guardian or curator must be the person who makes the application to the clerk of the court. The procedure is slightly different from that of a change of adult name, and the forms vary depending on the number of parents of the minor involved in filing the application.